X

Custom area




 

The Community of Madrid freezes water rates for the fourth consecutive year and extends the social rate to widow pensions - The Community of Madrid freezes water rates for the fourth consecutive year and extends the social rate to widow pensions

null The Community of Madrid freezes water rates for the fourth consecutive year and extends the social rate to widow pensions

The Community of Madrid freezes water rates for the fourth consecutive year and extends the social rate to widow pensions

2018-11-28

Water rates in the Community of Madrid are 23 % lower than average rates in major cities in Spain


  • Canal de Isabel II allocates 2,88 million euros per year to social allowances and has ruled out suspending water supplies for families facing financial problems
  • Over 200.000 households will benefit from the inclusion of widow pensions in Canal's social rate 

The Community of Madrid, via the public entity Canal de Isabel II, freezes water rates for a fourth consecutive year for households in the region. Furthermore, the social rate will be extended to people receiving widow pensions whose gross annual income is lower than 14,000 euros, thus complying with the commitment announced by the president Ángel Garrido, during the last State of the Region Debate. Around 200,000 potential customers will benefit from this measure and it will represent a 50 % reduction on fixed fee on water bills.

Canal de Isabel II currently allocates 2.88 million euros per year to the application of these social discounts, helping 48,003 customers. Canal’s social rate is already applied to those receiving Minimum Income Benefits and Long-term Unemployment Benefits from the Public Employment Service, non-contributory pensions and, in general, any individuals in vulnerable situations.

Large families and houses occupied by large numbers of people (flats shared by more than five people who are not related) are also included, as well as community properties and supervised flats registered in the Department of Family and Social Affairs in the Community of Madrid. Canal has also eliminated all suspension orders through non-payment for families that cannot pay for the supply due to financial problems.

The proposal shall be submitted by the public entity Canal de Isabel II to the Community of Madrid in order to continue with the relevant administrative and public information process, which will culminate with the approval and publication by the regional Government of the relevant decree and tariff order.

THE PRICE OF WATER IN MADRID, BELOW THE AVERAGE 

Water rates in the Community of Madrid are 23 % cheaper than the average rate in the major Spanish cities and 50.5 % cheaper than the average rate in main European cities. Therefore, the cost of a cubic metre of water supplied by Canal is 1.38 euros, while the average in Spain is 1.79 euros (cost for a customer with an average consumption of around 20 cubic metres and a meter diameter of 13 mm included in the Study on tariffs for household supply of water in 35 Spanish cities in 2017, published by the FACUA – Consumidores en acción association).

Canal de Isabel II is the company in charge of the management of the integrated water cycle in the Community of Madrid and in its shareholder structure, the public entity Canal de Isabell II, is represented with 82.4 % of the shares and 111 town councils with the remaining 17.6 %, including the City Council of Madrid with 10 % of the shares.

The public entity was founded over 165 years ago to supply the city of Madrid with water. It employs more than 2500 people working daily to provide a service to more than 6 million people in the region. It is an innovative company, a leader in its sector, and internationally recognised for its management of the integrated water cycle. It operates 13 reservoirs; 78 spring tappings; 14 drinking water treatment plants; 17,556 kilometres of conveyance and distribution channels; 131 pumping stations for drinking water and 133 for waste water; 14,956 kilometres of sewage networks; 65 storm tanks; 877 kilometres of sewers and outfalls; 157 waste water treatment stations; and 588 kilometres of reclaimed water channels.

Use of cookies

We use our own and third-party cookies to improve our services. You can obtain more information, or find out how to change the configuration, in our privacy policy and cookies.

Ok